Liberal Democrats believe in a fair, free and open society, balancing liberty, equality and community, where no one is trapped by poverty, ignorance or conformity.
We are are free to speak the truth and do the right thing, unlike the other main parties that are funded by, and prisoners of the unions or big business.
Locally, Liberal Democrats have been at the heart of Havant Council, including recently a year as Mayor.
Nationally, the Liberal Democrats did the right thing by forming a coalition after the 2008 financial crisis. Despite being punished, we achieved over 75% of our manifesto commitments (according to the BBC and University College London), including:
- Taking millions of low earners out of income tax.
- Putting £2.5 billion into the pupil premium to help children that need it.
- Ensuring that EVERY 18-24 year old can learn or earn with the Youth Contract.
- Creating hundreds of thousands of apprenticeship places.
- Creating the Green Investment Bank and sustainable jobs for those apprentices to go into.
- Investing in solar and wind power for a greener future.
- Triple locking pensions.
- Cutting tax avoidance and evasion by big business and the 350,000 wealthiest people in the nation.
- Breaking up the banks so they gamble with their own money, not the taxpayers.
- More free childcare for under 2s than ever before in history
- Free school meals for primary children.
- and many more ....
And we stopped the more extreme Tory policies, such as :
- Inheritance tax cuts for millionaires
- Scrapping help with housing costs for young people
- Weakening arrest warrants for people who have fled overseas
- Firing workers at will, without any reasons given
- Privatising the motorways and key A-Roads
- The Snoopers’ Charter
- Bringing back the old O-level / CSE divide
- Profit-making in state schools
- Cutting the time childminders can give to each child
- Cutting new nursery buildings
- Stopping schools from teaching about climate change
- Axing human rights from national curriculum
- Ditching the Human Rights Act
- Watering down the ban on hunting by allowing 40 dogs to flush out a fox
- Scrapping Natural England
- Cutting investment in green energy
Britain emerged from the banking crisis stronger for the Liberal Democrats.